Scottish Hockey is seeking a pool of Team Managers to support the Senior Men’s and Women’s National Hockey Team Programmes
If you are an organised individual who is an active listener and effective communicator with a passion for performance sport, then we have an opportunity for you to be part of our team. These roles will run from January 2024 until November 2026 inclusive, and give you the opportunity to work with teams in an elite sporting environment on an international stage.
Purpose: To manage, plan and execute tasks attached to all ‘off pitch’ activity.
About the role
A Team Manager is essential to ensure the effective operation of the squad and it requires an individual who can help create a positive team environment conducive to creating a high performance team. The Team Manager will work in close partnership with the Head Coach, and Programme Lead, as well as other management team staff. The role will be required to travel with the team to competitions and training camps.
Key responsibilities are:
- Planning, costing team travel logistics from transport to food and accommodation and pitches.
- Plan all logistical aspects of any trips or activity in accordance to the set programme of the team, with particular focus on accommodation, catering, international and domestic travel and baggage.
- Lead and deliver on all aspects of ‘on the ground’ team logistics
- Including internal transport, training times, eating times and arrangements, meeting room bookings and other tasks.
- Liaising with event host countries and bodies (EuroHockey, FIH and Team Scotland).
- Secure accreditation.
- Work with Performance Programme Manager to ensure appropriate kit is ordered and received in timely manner.
- Liaise with Performance Programme Manager on UKAD policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Budget management.
- Key point of contact/communication between players and management team.
This role is ad hoc and will be appointed on a self-employed contract basis. The role will be renumerated per annum to be discussed each year with the Head Coach and Programme Lead and Director of Hockey Operations, dependent upon the number of trips each Team Manager is assigned.
Key dates for your diary
The roles require time commitment which is summarised below:
- Training sessions ahead of events, where applicable, to present and update players on planning
- Match play and tournaments, at home and away
- Meetings as required both at the team and association level
From a specific perspective, there is a need for travel for competitive match play at home and abroad during the following times (dates for 2024 are given as a guide at this stage but are all subject to change):
|Senior Men||6th – 14th January – Spain
8th – 10th March – Scotland Camp
10th – 12th May – Scotland Camp
20th – 26th May – Belgium
6th – 9th June – Ireland
19th – 23rd June – Holland
27th – 30th June – Home Test Series
4th – 7th July – TBC
13th – 21st July – Switzerland
25th – 28th July – TBC
1st – 4th August – Home Test Series
17th – 24th August – Vienna
22nd – 24th November – Scotland Camp
|Senior Women||12th -18th February – Spain
29th March – 1st April – Wales
24th – 29th May – Home Test Series
12th – 16th June – France
27th – 30th June – Holland
13th – 21st July – Turkey
24th – 28th July – Home Test Series
20th -25th August – Euro Qualifier – Glasgow
We are looking for individuals who have the following skills and experience
- Effective communication
- Good collaborator
- Problem solver
- Approachable and empathetic
- Previous team manager experience
- Experience in programme/budget management
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Experience and background in team management pre, during and post competition.
- Strong interest and commitment to personal development and wellbeing.
- Ability to work with coaching personnel.
- Ability to communicate off pitch requirements to relevant stakeholders.
How we’ll support you
You will be supported by the Head Coach and Programme Lead along with the Director of Hockey Operations. The Operations Administrator will support you in booking any travel and accommodation. You will be included in any support programmes/forums with other team managers across the pathway and will be supported by Team Scotland in the lead up to Commonwealth Games 2026, should you be the Team Manager selected to travel with either team.
How to apply
If you are interested in any of these opportunities to join our senior management team, please completed the short application form below by 6.00pm on Wednesday 29th November
Our values are core to our work and were developed collaboratively with our staff:
Community, Integrity, Challenge, Ambition, Respect and Strength
Equal Opportunities Monitoring
All Scottish Hockey job applications must be accompanied with an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
Please submit it with your application, or complete the online form below. It will immediately be separated from your application and the information contained will not be seen by anyone on the interview panel.
In This Section
Please select a section you would like to view.