Scotland women’s squad for three-match series against Spain
Spain will provide opposition for Scotland Women as they get a huge year underway with a three-match test series in Benalmadena.
The pair will meet on Wednesday 14 February at 10:30am; Thursday 15 February at 17:00; and Friday 16 February at 13:00. All push backs are local times.
Later this year the Tartan Hearts will play on home turf in the vital EuroHockey Qualifiers, which will take place at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre on 22-25 August.
Scotland will feature alongside Wales; Austria; Croatia; Czech Rep; and Lithuania with the tournament winner qualifying for the EuroHockey Championships in 2025.
Head Coach Chris Duncan said, “The group have been working seriously hard since we restarted in late September, and these games come at a great time as we look to launch into a big year ahead moving into the European qualifiers.
“Spain have recently sealed their place in Paris at the Olympics so these games will be a great test for us.
“The big picture is really important for us, and we are looking forward to giving a number of players their first taste of competition against opposition of this level after a good block of training looking to develop some new technical skillsets.
“We are naturally without our Great Britain squad members as they move into their vital preparation phase ahead of Paris 2024, so this is a great opportunity for others to step up and become leaders within the group with their performances. There is a real energy and vibrancy around the group, and we are all excited to get out there and kick off 2024 with some positive performances.”
Amber Murray (Watsonians HC)
Ava Wadsworth (Durham University)
Bronwyn Shields (Clydesdale Western)
Ellie Mackenzie (Loughborough University)
Emily Dark (Watsonians HC)
Eve Pearson (Grossflottbeker THGC)
Frances Lonergan (Western Wildcats)
Georgia Jones (Berliner HC)
Heather McEwan (Royal Victory)
Jessica Buchanan (Exeter University)
Jessica Ross (The University of Edinburgh)
Katherine Birch (Durham University)
Katherine Holdgate (Watsonians HC)
Katie Swanson (The University of Edinburgh)
Lunjika Nyirenda (The University of Edinburgh)
Millie Steiger (Clydesdale Western)
Ruth Blaikie (The University of Edinburgh)
Sarah Jamieson (Watsonians HC)
Sophie Hinds (The University of Edinburgh)
Zara Kennedy (The University of Edinburgh)
- Premiership split starts for the men while the women play catch-up games
- Wins for Edinburgh University women and Western Wildcats men
- Watsonians women win in indoor Euros along with cup and league action
- Tough day for Watsonians at the women’s indoor Euros
- Watsonians pick up some points in the indoor Euros and Uddy women win in Premiership
- Watsonians in EuroHockey top flight while at home it is the Scottish Cup quarter-finals
- Scottish Hockey and Physique Management Launch New Partnership
- A final win for Western Wildcats at Euros and wins also for Dundee Wanderers and GHK in Premiership
- Mixed fortunes for Western Wildcats men in Europe and big results in the Premiership
- Close contest sees Scotland women lose 2-1 away to Spain