Scottish Hockey has a strong commitment to coach education and inspiring more people to become a hockey coach. As a coach, you'll be committed to learning and enthusiastic about helping hockey players to improve their performance.
To get started in coaching hockey, you need to think about coaching qualifications.
For volunteers, senior school pupils, parents and teachers, we offer a short introduction to the basic skills in hockey.
Our Leaders Course is a six hour practical course that will give you the very basic coaching fundamentals.
The resource can be dowloaded here (3.9MB) when you attend the course and receive the password.
UKCC Level 1 Coaching Qualification
For potential and trainee coaches, the UK Coaching Certificate (UKCC) Level 1 qualification will get you started:
- Enables individuals to work towards becoming an Assistant Coach
- Anyone over 16 years old can qualify
- Duration is 2.5 days
- Introduction to coaching theory and technical skills of hockey
- Cost: £165 for Scottish Hockey members; £215 for non-members
UKCC Level 2 Coaching Qualification
For Level 1 qualified coaches, you can start working towards your UK Coaching Certificate (UKCC) Level 2 qualification:
- Ideal for those wishing to work towards becoming a club coach
- Anyone over 18 years old can qualify
- Duration is approx. 4 days
- Increases your depth of hockey skills' knowledge
- Introduces the tactical elements of hockey - attacking, defending, set-pieces
- Provided with a copy of NAC Analysis Software
- Cost: £420 for Scottish Hockey members; £470 for non-members
- Participants must also complete a First Aid qualification and a sportscoach UK Safeguarding and Protecting Children Workshop.
Following the successful completion of all coaching courses, you will be awarded a formal qualification from the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
UKCC Level 3 Coaching Qualification
The UKCC Level 3 Coaching Qualification is currently being reviewed by Scottish Hockey, England Hockey and Hockey Wales.
Contact us to find out more.
Coach Relicense Scheme
Under our Relicense Scheme, hockey coaches will be asked to re-validate their qualification every three years.
This ensures that coaches can remain 'active' coaches on the Scottish Hockey database. Information will be collected about the sessions delivered by coaches and coaching courses attended.
If you would like further information on coaching please contact us.